Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Pacific, Asian, and North American Asian Women in Theology and Ministry

PANAAWTM

22nd Annual Conference

March 22-24, 2007

Union Theological Seminary, New York

3041 Broadway, New York, NY 10027

Religion and Politics in Difficult Times


The conference is for Asian, Pacific, and North American Asian women. The evening panel on March 22 (Thursday) is open to the public.


Become acquainted with the work of our leading religion scholars.

Think about and discuss your own ideas and work.

Participate in the Doctoral Seminar: for those in a doctoral program.

Network with other women.

Share your hopes and concerns.

Meet new sisters from all over North America.

Worship together in various traditions.

Learn new dimensions of religious work and leadership.


Speakers and workshop leaders include the following and others:

Anne Dondapati Allen

Rita Nakashima Brock

Namsoon Kang

Kwok Pui Lan

Boyung Lee

Unzu Lee

Regina Shin

Elizabeth Tapia

Seung Ai Yang

1 comment:

pastor_roger said...

My name is Pastor Roger, out of chicago, IL. For the record, I'm not of Asian descent. My ethnicity is Cherokee/Peoria/Irish English. My journey began at Urbana Missions'96 when I was an undergradute. It was there that the Lord called me to 3 things 1)full time worship, ministry, & servanthood to the 2nd gen. Asian American community 2)A non-denominational campus ministry at UIC in Chicago that was/is predominately 2nd gen. Asians. and 3)racial reconciliation. I accpeted God's call to all 3 & it has been a wonderful journey.
Since then, I was a small group leader at Urbana'00 & '03. I attended Urbana'06 as a volunteer staff worker. And at all 4 f the Urbana conferences, I made many of the worshops that had to do with Asians, all of which were very helpful. On top of that, I've read many books that deal with Asian American culture & racial reconciliation. But I'd long wondered why there wasn't more books written about the struggles that 2nd gen. AA's go through & also the sexism that Asian females encounter. As a pastor, I've long wondered why the body of Christ hadn't written more about these issues(with the exception of "Following Jesus without dishonoring your Parents").
My prayers were answered in fall'06. I saw the advance reviews at amazon of "More than Serving Tea." Needless to say, I was overjoyed, thrilled, & almost moved to tears. This book has been very eye opening, candid, & very Christ centered. It's been a big help to me, both personally & professionally. It covers things that I've learned in the last 10 years, plus covers thinsg I hadn't learned before. It was a very welcomed addition to my library.
My prayer is that more Christian books like this one will be written. Kudos to the 5 authors!